The Baku International Architecture Award is an open, biennial award organised by the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Azerbaijan and the Union of Architects of Azerbaijan with the support of the International Union of Architects (UIA).
On the recommendation of the International Union of Architects (UIA), this fourth edition of the Award will be held in conjunction with the UIA International Forum on Mass Tourism in Historic Cities.
The main objective of the Award is to recognise projects (both proposed and completed) that exemplify excellent design practices and responsible planning as well as design and development for tourism in places of heritage and historical significance. This could include new facilities to accommodate tourists, sites of historical significance and the adaptive reuse of existing buildings for purposes related to tourism.
Entries are invited in the following categories:
- A – best implemented project in the architecture of tourist facilities
- B – best project undertaken in the field of rehabilitation and reconstruction of historic buildings and sites
- C – best implemented restoration of historic interiors
- D – best implemented rehabilitation of a site in the field of landscape architecture
- E – best non-realised project in the field of restoration and reconstruction of buildings
- F – best publication in the field of the use of historical heritage for tourism purposes
Architects qualified for architectural practice in their country of residence may participate in the Award. Each participant can submit only one project for each category and participation is free of charge.
The prize fund of 45,000 AZN (€23,000) will be awarded in the various categories as follows:
- First prize of 4,000 AZN (€2,050)
- Second prize of 2,500 AZN (€1,280)
- Third prize of 1,000 AZN (€510)
- Vassilis Sgoutas, UIA Former President (Greece)
- Esa Mohamed, UIA Immediate Past President (Malaysia)
- Catherine Jacquot, Immediate Past President of the CNOA (France)
- Victor Leonel, President of the Africa Union of Architects – AUA (Angola)
- Elbay Gasim-Zada, Chairman of the Union of Architects of Azerbaijan
- Announcement: 15 December 2018
- Deadline for submitting questions: 1 April 2019
- Deadline for receipt of entries: 20 May 2019
- International jury: 8 – 9 June 2019
- Announcement of the results: 10 June 2019
All questions concerning the Award procedure should be sent to [email protected]. Questions and their replies will be e-mailed by the UAA to all participants.
The Award procedure and regulations are available on the official website of the Union of Architects of Azerbaijan www.uaa.az